Re: [Monotone-devel] speed of "mtn ls branches"

From: Tony Tung
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] speed of "mtn ls branches"
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:46:32 -0800

On Jan 16, 2008, at 8:17 PM, William Uther wrote:

On 17/01/2008, at 2:35 PM, Tony Tung wrote:

Hi,

I just downloaded monotone 0.38, and I found the command "mtn ls branches" to take a lot longer than the previous version I was using (0.35). Since I kept the old binary around, I did some timing with the two binaries, same database. 0.35 takes 0.023s to complete the operation while 0.38 takes 0.22s. Any idea why that might be happening?

That is almost certainly due to the introduction of 'suspend' certs. These were introduced in about 0.37 I think. They are a way of removing a branch from the list of 'active' branches you see with 'ls branches'. They take work to process though. If you want to ignore suspend certs you can use the strangely named "--ignore- suspend-certs" option. This should return things to the speed they were before, but you will lose the suspend functionality.

Is the 0.2 seconds a huge issue for you?

Will      :-}

Well, I run "ls branches" as part of my shell completion, so 0.2 seconds does seem like an eternity. :) In any case, adding "--ignore- suspend-certs" does not make any difference.

Thanks,
Tony