Re: [Monotone-devel] speed of "mtn ls branches"

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] speed of "mtn ls branches"
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:17:06 +0100

Lapo Luchini wrote:
> I don't know.... that removes the warm fuzzy feeling of "absolute
> correctness", but would certainly help in the speed side.

*If* we decide to do this of this sort, we could consider using a single
common "speed over security" option... with maybe more levels, in this
case could be: 0=no check, 1=check hash, 2=check signature; as a global
option (in case other use cases show up) it could be "more clear" to the
user, be well documented and all.

I'm not in love of this idea, but OTOH we have to ask ourselves: what
good does perfection if some people DO NOT prefer it over speed and
rather uses other versioning software for this very reason?
Adding such an option *may* buy us a few more users, and on certain
occasions, as an expert user that knows his security and works solo on
his laptop, it may well have sense not to check the same sig over and
over again.

And even in that case, with a "most secure" default and PLENTY of
warning/disclaimers all over the place, IMHO.

--
Lapo Luchini
address@hidden (OpenPGP & X.509)