Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Future of monotone

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Future of monotone
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:23:54 +0100

Hi,

Lapo Luchini wrote:
I don't think that's true, AFAIK "extracting heads" is not a single
query, it involves something closer to: getting many revisions,
verifying the cert signatures (?), creating the graph, finding the heads
of the graph.

Well, I think Alvaro's point was, that most of that could be done in the database, reducing the amount of queries. While that's certainly true, the amount of queries isn't that much of an issue with an embedded SQL database like SQLite. Only if you are thinking in terms of bigger RDBMSen, like Alvaro supposedly did, it would make sense to put more logic into the database itself. (In case of Postgres, the first problem we face would be, mixing C++ with SPI C code)

Regards

Markus