Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:57:16 -0500

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:30:24AM -0800, address@hidden wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 05:04:33PM +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
>
> > Thomas Keller wrote:
> > >So where lacks monotone the most?

Lets make an entry in the dream-on category:

I miss the ability to merge revisions to tree-structured files while
guaranteeing that tree structure remains properly nested.

(what kinds of tree structures?  Well, XML comes to mind because
it's standard; indented text comes to mind because there's so
much of it.  Things with brackets also, but maybe I'm getting
greedy here :-)  This could be done with syntax plugins for
various file types.  There might be other uses for such plugins)

I don't expect anyone to provide this this anytime soon, and as far as I
know, no revision management system does this.

(but would it be useful if monotone were to be able to merge C files
without violating statement nesting?  Or considering it a merge conflict
if it were inevitable?)

-- hendrik