Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:48:09 +0100

Hello Boris,

Boris wrote:
You are right. I need to clarify my requirements: I need to define projects and assign people to them. People can do whatever they want in their projects. However they must not get the files in the other projects (which means they either aren't transferred or they are transferred but can not be checked out - if that is safe at all). That again means it shouldn't be possible for people to simply assign themselves to other projects.

I think it's very important to understand, that there are two levels involved here: one is the synchronization step, where you exchange data, the other one is the trust thing, where your local monotone decides whom to trust to.

With read-permissions and write-permissions, you can already implement some sort of a person <-> branches thing. Please check the manual for these things. Considering that most commercial projects have a central "master" repository, to which all developers sync to, that might already be sufficient. It's a central policy, in a way. While policy branches are about handling a distributed policy.

Hope that helps clarifying.

Regards

Markus