Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:00:54 +0100

Hi,

Boris wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:07:44 +0200, Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]Use multiple projects and let your developers only sync to the central

If you mean with multiple projects multiple databases - yes, that's the only solution I can think of currently.

...oops, I meant multiple branches. You don't need multiple databases, if you disallow your developers to sync with each other.

If you want them to be able to sync with each other, you will (currently) need to distribute the read-permissions for your branches manually.

Note, that monotone can already help you with that as well. Just put ~/.monotone/read-permissions under it's version control and install some cronjob to update that regularly. Or use rsync or whatever comes to mind.

That's not under my control. But again I'm not looking for a 100% secure solution. I just don't want the VCS to do all the work for the bad guys. :)

Well, as a non-100% solution, you can tell the trusted developers *not* to sync with others, just via the central repository. Or why should that not be under your control?

Ah, my understanding was that someone (Timothy?) is currently working on _the_ (?) policy branch code.

Well, yeah, sure. At least on the thing he considers to be _the_ policy branch code. I didn't have a look, yet. Nor did I see anybody else comment on it. (Especially missing comments from those guys who were most actively debating policy branches at the summit and before...)

Regards

Markus