Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:55:01 +0100

Hi,

Bruce Stephens wrote:
That strikes me as impractical.  How can I merge two revisions if I
can't see some of the changed files?

You should be able to merge, as long as the revisions you are trying to merge both point to the same revid for all invisible or disallowed files. Otherwise, you can't possibly merge, since you are not allowed to have access to the files which need to be merged.

If my local repository contains
the files, how convincing is it that I'm prevented access to them in
some sense?

Huh? To cover these scenarios, your local repository shouldn't contain any file you are not allowed to see. Meaning, this is something which needs to be handled during netsync. Everything else wouldn't solve the problem at hand, IMO.

Keeping in mind the 'patent violation' case, where one wants to remove
specific files from all historic revisions, you'd quite certainly want
to control access to single files, one day.

I suspect in that case you want to *remove* the files

No. In case one of my public projects (as if there were some..) would violate patents, I'd want to disallow public access to those files. And prevent anybody from downloading them. However, I'd certainly keep them in my own, private repository ;-)

not just
control access to them.  And yes, that's really hard (impossible,
really) in a distributed system.

I don't think it's impossible. But it's certainly hard to implement. It would require handling (merging, checking-out, committing, ...) revisions where you are missing some files contents. As those are referenced by hash, that doesn't seem overly impossible.

So I doubt it's worth worrying overly much about---better to
concentrate on more common situations that might be solvable.

Oh yeah, I absolutely and full heartedly agree to that!

Markus