[Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:32:36 +0000

Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I'd generally vote for files, even if that's still a long way to go.

That strikes me as impractical.  How can I merge two revisions if I
can't see some of the changed files?  If my local repository contains
the files, how convincing is it that I'm prevented access to them in
some sense?

> Keeping in mind the 'patent violation' case, where one wants to remove
> specific files from all historic revisions, you'd quite certainly want
> to control access to single files, one day.

I suspect in that case you want to *remove* the files, not just
control access to them.  And yes, that's really hard (impossible,
really) in a distributed system.

So I doubt it's worth worrying overly much about---better to
concentrate on more common situations that might be solvable.