Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:46:11 +0100

Hi,

Nuno Lucas wrote:
"Policy branches" aside, this is a feature it would be nice to have:
merge/propagate with path restrictions.

A simple (and common) use-case is propagating/merging changes made in
a sub-directory (possibly a library, like sqlite in monotone repo) to
another branch.

This would possibly leave us with a partly unmerged revision, no? Or would you want monotone to simply refuse merging, if there are files out of the path restriction which need to be merged? I'm not sure if I'm understanding your use case.

For sqlite in monotone, we use a separate branch, from which we propagate to monotone mainline. Where it was 'merge_into_dir'ed, once upon a time, I guess. Isn't that sufficient for your case as well?

Regards

Markus