Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 23:57:29 +0100

Hello Nuno,

Nuno Lucas wrote:
In this case you could say they are modules, but it could be a single
file on the source tree, with no clear separation between it and other
source files. You can't have a branch per source file (you could but
makes no sense).

You can commit different changes to a single file in two different branches, so why do branches not solve your problem?

Probably this will be solved when monotone gets a proper "cherry pick"
system. It would then be possible to "pluck" some group of revisions
(that could be restricted by path) and retain history.
I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind for being a "proper cherry
pick" thing.

For me "cherry picking" is just what pluck does, but with an added
"unpluck" option.
That way you can try different patches, but have the option of
"un-applying" them, for example, while chasing some regression bug.

Uh.. that reminds me more of quilt or mercurial queues, no?

To me, cherry picking has to do with accepting (picking) changes from other developers or other branches, which I like (the cherries), but not the ones I don't.

Regards

Markus