Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:21:54 -0600

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 19:46 +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nuno Lucas wrote:
> > "Policy branches" aside, this is a feature it would be nice to have:
> > merge/propagate with path restrictions.
> >
> > A simple (and common) use-case is propagating/merging changes made in
> > a sub-directory (possibly a library, like sqlite in monotone repo) to
> > another branch.
>
> This would possibly leave us with a partly unmerged revision, no? Or
> would you want monotone to simply refuse merging, if there are files out
> of the path restriction which need to be merged? I'm not sure if I'm
> understanding your use case.
>
> For sqlite in monotone, we use a separate branch, from which we
> propagate to monotone mainline. Where it was 'merge_into_dir'ed, once
> upon a time, I guess. Isn't that sufficient for your case as well?

merge_into_dir messes things up if you propagate back to the library's
upstream branch.

What we need is a way to bind a pathname in one revision to the root of
another revision, so the library stays separate from what uses it. This
would let you make changes from a checkout of the downstream project,
and merge those changes back to upstream without turning them into a
copy of your project and without dragging your entire history along with
yout.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net