[Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Boris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:16:48 +0200

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:33:29 +0200, Jack Lloyd <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:52:20AM -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:

What is the rationale for this requirement?  My knee-jerk reaction is
that this is ultimately impossible to enforce (untrusted dev A can go
over to trusted dev B and ask to be shown),

I think the key here is the use of trusted: dev B is trusted to
maintain a set of access controls. Just because he might fail to
uphold that trust does not mean the access control is meaningless (you
could equivalently argue that putting a password on a web application
is meaningless, because someone could always find an exploitable hole
in the httpd and access all the data that way).

Yes, exactly. Banks wouldn't need to lock their safes then either as there is always a way to enter. Noone is looking for a 100% secure solution - that doesn't exist anyway.

Currently there is however no control at all to make sure that when developers sync their databases directly that they don't send each other files the other one shouldn't get. I can setup and configure a central server but that doesn't help if I want to benefit from a distributed VCS (in general I want developers to sync directly if they want to). I would need to tell each and every developer how to configure their monotone databases - and each and every developer would need to configure the database manually. If I could save the permission settings in the database so developers wouldn't need to do anything anymore by default that would be great. While they will still be able to forward files to others in another way (not using monotone) it would be also nice if not everyone could change the permission settings stored in the database (the changes would spread through the whole system and everyone including me would use them, maybe without noticing).

Boris

[...]