Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:54:12 +0100

Hi,

Bruce Stephens wrote:
Hmm.  So the manifest has a hash that points to something that says I
don't have permission to it (rather than to the text itself).  I guess
I can imagine that working.

Uh.. the manifest has never included the text itself, AFAIR. And still today, the revision data references the file's contents by hash exclusively. So do the rosters.

A possible alternative that occurred to me is to have some things
encrypted, but that feels just horribly complicated.  (Arguably you'd
want every blob to be encrypted separately, so you could control
access to any of them in an arbitrary way.)

You mean, committing the files encrypted, for things you don't want everybody to have access to? Doesn't matter for monotone...

I still think it's likely to be more work than it's worth.  People
commonly distribute such files separately, so putting them in a
different branch (which can be controlled separately) feels reasonable
to me.

I agree that it's simpler. But it's not always a viable alternative. However, at the moment, I certainly have more important things on my agenta for monotone.

Regards

Markus