Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:52:20 -0500

On Wed, Feb 6, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Boris <address@hidden> wrote:
>  The problem is the co-worker shouldn't be allowed to check out the files
>  at all. Management doesn't want anyone else except the responsible
>  developers to see the source code.

What is the rationale for this requirement?  My knee-jerk reaction is
that this is ultimately impossible to enforce (untrusted dev A can go
over to trusted dev B and ask to be shown), counterproductive (people
code better when they know what the code on the other side of the
fence is like), and not something we *ought* to support.  But maybe I
would think differently if I knew the situation you're in.

Now, not filling up disk space *by default* with code that dev A has
no intention of looking at is a different story, and as I said
upthread, we can already do that (netsync branch patterns).

zw