Re: [Monotone-devel] How to join identical branches?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] How to join identical branches?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:57:55 +0100

Hi,

Stephen Leake wrote:
I'd like to change monotone to offer to merge the conflicting files;
that would clearly work in this case, and is The Right Thing in the
cases I have run into as well.

Hm.. conflicting files have different node ids, so they certainly don't have a common ancestor. A manual merge should be doable anyway, but the resulting file will have to carry on one or the other existing node id. This might affect future merges. Also consider what to do with the other node id. If you simply drop that by deleting the file (in favor of the other one), any future changes to it, which should have been added to the merged file, will get lost, due to die die die.

Thus, I think it's currently handled quite well, by noticing the user of the conflict. IMO, letting her dig into the issue to solve the conflict when it arises is better than surprising her afterwards by loosing changes and letting her investigate the issue later on.

Regards

Markus