[Monotone-devel] bundled libs (was: botan 1.7.3)

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: [Monotone-devel] bundled libs (was: botan 1.7.3)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:36:17 +1100

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:50:26AM -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I've been thinking about this a bit myself, because the Debian
> security people would really like us to stop using *all* of our
> bundled libraries, so that when a security issue hits one of them they
> can just upgrade the shared library and be done.

Add pkgsrc, for this as well as other reasons; while I understand the
original desire with bundling code, especially where we depended on
our own fixes, the general preference amongst most packagers would be
to let them use their own dependency resolution.

Apparently, gentoo also (link found in today's Gentoo Newsletter):
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/articles/2008/01/21/and-what-about-imported-libraries

--
Dan.