[Monotone-devel] Re: bundled libs

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: bundled libs
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:45:01 +0100

Hi,

Daniel Carosone wrote:
Add pkgsrc, for this as well as other reasons; while I understand the
original desire with bundling code, especially where we depended on
our own fixes, the general preference amongst most packagers would be
to let them use their own dependency resolution.

Apparently, gentoo also (link found in today's Gentoo Newsletter):
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/articles/2008/01/21/and-what-about-imported-libraries

So, isn't the question right now: shall we continue to maintain our own copy of those things at all? After having tested a --with-system-botan, I find it surprisingly easy. While with the current included approach, I've had to struggle even for the update from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3.

Maybe a complete inclusion, 1:1, running the library's provided configure script and all would solve that issue. But then again, one can certainly ask, if the distribution's packet system isn't doing a much better job in that - including security updates and all.

Of course, testing with different botan, sqlite and pcre libraries doesn't come for free. And maybe, one day we need to differentiate between certain versions of these libraries or drop support for old versions. But hey, that's a well known process to pretty much everybody involved.

Thus I'm voting for removing the "false positive" saying about "not requiring any dependencies" and migrate to "builds on top of well known and tested 3rd party libraries". Because I think the former makes one ask "are they really going to build everything from scratch?".

Agreed, for a new user it's a bigger hurdle, if he has to install other libraries first. However, most package systems cover that pretty automatically. And reducing the build time by not requiring to build every library for static inclusion is also great, IMO.

One can also argue, that if a distribution doesn't ship a library we need, then it would help monotone if we didn't require it externally. But not shipping the library is a deficiency of the distribution, not one of monotone. So why not fix it right there?

Regards

Markus