[Monotone-devel] Re: bundled libs

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: bundled libs
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:22:09 +0100

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
Windows will keep DLLs separate if they are in separate directories.
So putting the DLLs for mtn in the same directory as mtn.exe should be
enough.
Sure, but that drives the concept of shared libraries ad absurbum. It's probably safer and simpler to provide a single static binary, in that case.

OTOH it's the most safe way, and the one many others choose (or were FORCED TO choose) already. Producing a static binary would need a recompile of dependencies, while including DLLs does not. (I'm *not* advocating this is a good way os using DLLs, I'm just stating that many others thought it was the "best" one available)

The current Windows mtn binary installer does bundle DLLs.
I didn't know. What DLLs does it need?

Just wildly guessing there, but judging from the current "external dependencies" of the CygWin release, I'd say gettext+iconv+zlib.

    Lapo