Re: [Monotone-devel] Representing EBCDIC history in monotone

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Representing EBCDIC history in monotone
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:27:23 -0400

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 03:22:05PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> But there are a few small files containing lots of characters not in the
> ASCII character set.  These are tables used by the lexical scanner to
> classify characters.  It makes no sense to translate the weird
> characters into ASCII.  But leaving them out will violate the
> development history.
>
> Any advice?

My first thought would be to convert them to reading/recognizing
the Unicode/UTF-8 equivalents [1], though that would also require
changing the code to understand some amount of UTF-8/Unicode which
might not be the point

Perhaps you can change it to match, rather than the literal EBCDIC characters,
the equivalent character values (in whatever EBCDIC layout
this thing is set up for), with comments specifying what the actual
characters being matched are?

Or maybe just mark that file as binary, then delete the manual-merge
cert on it? (Does that even work?)

Is the intent to feed this thing ASCII sources, or EBCDIC ones?

-Jack

[1]: I assume at some point _someone_ thought it would be useful to
include all of the EBCDIC character points into Unicode somewhere.