Re: [Monotone-devel] Representing EBCDIC history in monotone

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Representing EBCDIC history in monotone
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:44:09 -0400

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 03:22:05PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> I'm working on a retrocomputing projecr, and I'm trying to create a
> monotone archive that is (a) useful, and (b) faithfully indicates the
> historical record.
>
> Now the original code I'm restoring consists mostly EBCDIC files.  To be
> at all readable on most modern machines, it has been converted to ASCII.
> For the most part, this works OK.  A brief historical note that they
> were once EBCDIC will probably satisfy the historians, if any.  Further
> development will be in ASCII anyway, and will be checked into a monotone
> repository in the usual manner.

Now there are some large files that were build as part of normal
development, but were abandoned because of sustem limitations long ago.
While I don't expect to develop in these directions myself, others might
well want to.

If I check them in, and then delete them, they will be part of the
hostorical record, but it will be impossible to resurrect them later,
because of die die die merge.  So this is perhaps not the way to go.

But if I don't delete them they will remain in the head of the active
project whether they are used or not.  This is also undesirable.

Is there some clever way around this?  Would branches help?

-- hendrik