Re: [Monotone-devel] Representing EBCDIC history in monotone

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Representing EBCDIC history in monotone
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:39:03 -0400

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 05:10:28PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 03:27:23PM -0400, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 03:22:05PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > > But there are a few small files containing lots of characters not in the
> > > ASCII character set.  These are tables used by the lexical scanner to
> > > classify characters.  It makes no sense to translate the weird
> > > characters into ASCII.  But leaving them out will violate the
> > > development history.
> > >
> > > Any advice?
>
> Perhaps sticking the EBCDIC file in the archive, along with a
> separate document explaining it?  That would satisfy the historical
> record.
>
> And then revising it immediately to a usable ASCII version?
> There aren't *many* files that would need this treatment, so they won't
> take an inordinate amount of space in the data base.

If I stick an EBCDIC version of a file in the archive, marked binary,
because it doesn't have the usual end-of-line markers, and then revise
it, creating a new version which is a proper ASCII file with '\n' line
endings, can I mark that second version as being normal text even though
the first is binary?

> > Or maybe just mark that file as binary, then delete the manual-merge
> > cert on it? (Does that even work?)

-- hendrik