Re: [Monotone-devel] Merging branch to allow duplicate key names, have c

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Merging branch to allow duplicate key names, have certs use key hash
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:02:16 +0200

Thomas Keller schrieb:
> Thanks for your work! I'll have a deeper look at your other changes
> tonight, currently on the run - weekend shopping :-/

I had the chance to look over it and everything seems fine now. I
haven't tested the netsync part though, but I guess you have some tests
in place which check the read-permissions / write-permissions part.

One last (small) thing I noticed is the usage of the term "KEYID" in the
commands - right now four commands use it:

automate.cc
1784:CMD_AUTOMATE(genkey, N_("KEYID PASSPHRASE"),

cmd_key_cert.cc
32:CMD(genkey, "genkey", "", CMD_REF(key_and_cert), N_("KEYID"),
60:CMD(dropkey, "dropkey", "", CMD_REF(key_and_cert), N_("KEYID"),
107:CMD(passphrase, "passphrase", "", CMD_REF(key_and_cert), N_("KEYID"),

As far as I can see `dropkey` accepts either a non-unique given_name or
a unique hash, so "KEYID" might be correct (maybe the usage term could
explain a bit more what else is accepted beside the given_name), but for
`(automate) genkey` only the given_name is usable, so we should probably
rename it from KEYID to KEY_NAME there.

Then I found a small nuisance when changing the passphrase of a key:

# generating two conflicting keys
./mtn genkey -d ../test-0.45.mtn address@hidden
mtn: key 'address@hidden' has hash 'a06b0ff9715fe930d6691111f48c4abe97da36b1'
$ ./mtn genkey -d ../test-0.45.mtn address@hidden --force-duplicate-key
mtn: key 'address@hidden' has hash '3d5136cec1ee394e11bbe59efae2e4b1a4eb8de4'

# ok, this is expected
$ ./mtn passphrase -d ../test-0.45.mtn address@hidden
                    mtn: misuse: you have multiple private keys name
'address@hidden'

# well, this is not :(
$ ./mtn passphrase -d ../test-0.45.mtn \
   3d5136cec1ee394e11bbe59efae2e4b1a4eb8de4
mtn: misuse: no key pair '3d5136cec1ee394e11bbe59efae2e4b1a4eb8de4'
found in key store '/Users/tommyd/.monotone/keys'

Apparently the `passphrase` command does not yet uses the new key
identification resolver.

Thomas.