Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number t

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number to 1.0
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:16:07 -0500

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 20:24 -0500, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> I'm now thinking we can make the about-to-be-released clients work with
> current-version servers. If they see an earlier-version hello from the
> server, they just need to store that in the session and use it for all
> packets sent. The only actual difference would be the cert data packets,
> and which hashes to use during cert refinement (would have to store both
> old and new hashes in the db).
>
> I'll see if I can code this up later this week or this weekend.
>
> In the future, the server would also have to recognize earlier versions
> in the auth/anonymous packets and adjust itself accordingly (easy, since
> server/client use almost exactly the same code).

This is done. New-version servers can also talk to old-version clients,
they now start with usher_cmd (which the client ignores the version of)
instead of start_cmd.

So we now have full protocol version negotiation between 0.44 (and
earlier) and 0.45dev (and future).

...do we want to call it 1.0 due to caring about compatibility now?
*ducks*

--
Timothy

Free public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net