Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number t

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number to 1.0
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:53:01 -0400

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 06:54:26AM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> > This is done. New-version servers can also talk to old-version clients,
> > they now start with usher_cmd (which the client ignores the version of)
> > instead of start_cmd.
> >
> > So we now have full protocol version negotiation between 0.44 (and
> > earlier) and 0.45dev (and future).
>
> Very cool.
>
> >From the changelogs, it sounds like you even embedded some protocol
> version negotiation code. That's great, even if I'd have preferred real
> capability negotiation, instead of meaningless numbers. However, cool
> you've taken care, thank you!

With version negotiation, the foot is in the door.  Given agreement on a
particular versin number, it is now possible to look at further ddata in
the hello packet and negotiate anything that version wishes to.

But unless there are multiple implementatinos of the netsync protocol,
or unless system adminitrators choose to make some features unavailable
for reasons of their own, I don't see much point in real capability
negotiation.

-- hendrik