Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number t

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number to 1.0
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:45:24 +0200

Hi,

Quoting "Timothy Brownawell" <address@hidden>:
Well, it depends on what you take the version numbers to mean. :)

Full ACK.

If it's <incompatible change count>.<update count>, then it makes
perfect sense. Well, assuming a large enough user-base that
"0.x == anything-goes" doesn't fly.

AFAIUI that's how we used the version number so far. We didn't ever increment the major version for flag days. And I'd like to keep it that way for now.

Some reasons for this one getting less discussion than otherwise are
that it's fixing a longstanding bug with moderately severe consequences
(which was starting to really annoy the pidgin people), that there
wasn't anything else to batch it up with, and even to some extent that
things have seemed rather dead lately. And that nobody said anything
about it when I asked about merging the branch in two weekends ago.

Yeah, I remember reading that mail, but didn't really gather the fact that it includes a flag day.

Never mind, I understand the reasons for the change and I can easily handle the flag day for my own projects (mostly coordinating me with myself ;-) ).

Regards

Markus Wanner