Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number to 1.0
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:57:07 -0600

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 19:23 -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Wasn't there a list of things that also needed a flag day -- with
> the intent that we do them all together and thus need only one flag day?

All I'm aware of is the NetsyncTodo page, which isn't terribly concrete
or complete, and generally has things that we either don't know how to
do or haven't started on.

From the top of netsync.cc

// TODO: things to do that will break protocol compatibility
//   -- need some way to upgrade anonymous to keyed pull, without user having
//      to explicitly specify which they want
//      just having a way to respond "access denied, try again" might work
//      but perhaps better to have the anonymous command include a note "I
//      _could_ use key <...> if you prefer", and if that would lead to more
//      access, could reply "I do prefer".  (Does this lead to too much
//      information exposure?  Allows anonymous people to probe what branches
//      a key has access to.)
//   -- "warning" packet type?
//   -- Richard Levitte wants, when you (e.g.) request '*' but don't have
//      access to all of it, you just get the parts you have access to
//      (maybe with warnings about skipped branches).  to do this right,
//      should have a way for the server to send back to the client "right,
//      you're not getting the following branches: ...", so the client will
//      not include them in its merkle trie.
//   -- add some sort of vhost field to the client's first packet, saying who
//      they expect to talk to

In case there's anything in there that we want to throw in "while we're at it" ;)

It seems like the usher packet might take care of the last one.

Cheers,
Derek