[Monotone-devel] repository surgery

From: hendrik
Subject: [Monotone-devel] repository surgery
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:29:02 -0400

OK.  I goofed and added a whole bunch of files that should have formed a
new project into the main branch of an existing project.  Then I went
and made changed to the files that belonged in that existing project.

What's more, the existing project really had the wrong branch name
(which made it easy for me to make that mistake).

But -- saving grace -- I have physical control over all the copies of
the repository.

It this likely to work as a way to clean up the mess? Or is there a
simpler way?

(1) Pull the data base to make a local copy.

(2) Use the cammand that removes the most recent change set until I'm at
the pount before I added the wrong files.  (I'm presuming that the only
reason this is said to not work is that a sync will just bring them all
back.  Is this so?  Or is some kind of check performed to prevent it?).

(2) use the beginning of the branch renaming script to add a branch cert
for the correct branch name to every remaining revision.

(3) sync with the remote repository (thereby giving me tne entire old
branch and the truncated new branch)

(4) cherry-pick the changes I *do* want into the new branch.

(5) If I really want to get rid of the old misnamed branch, pull just
the new branch from the local repository to make a new, smaller local
repository.  Then destroy all the other repositories so the corrupt data
will not sync back in.

-- hendrik