Re: [Monotone-devel] merging branch to allow 'automate stdio' over the n

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] merging branch to allow 'automate stdio' over the network
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 15:45:00 +0200

Timothy Brownawell schrieb:
>>> (I'm trying to revive the out-of-band error handling from the last
>>> summit in my spare time because I really want netsync-over-stdio
>>> working now... maybe this rather small code part could go into your
>>> branch as well?
>
> Not sure how small that would be. I seem to recall PipeCompatibleProbe
> not liking to have both stdin/stdout and sockets at the same time (at
> least on Windows), and the automate commands and stdio/remote_stdio
> machinery aren't set up for forwarding stdin.

They also have no concept of "interactivity" at all. My quick hack in
this direction has been to simply disable password prompts via a global
boolean variable in app_state. I then headed to adapt and use
key_store::cache_decrypted_key to decrypt and cache a particular private
key before its usage via another automate command, but gave up on this
idea because the key_store (and therefor its cache) seems to be
reinitialized after every (automate) command. I guess there are still
two other valid options to get the private key decrypted even via stdio,
the lua hook and ssh_agent, so maybe my attempt is not that much needed
after all.

I'll leave your branch untouched because I think it will sooner be ready
to land than my changes will and I don't want to block you. The code is
actually ready, but I need to fiddle around with lua to actually test
the out-of-band stuff properly. This has hold me back last time as well,
but I hope I figure it out this time :)

Thomas.