[Monotone-devel] bugfest analysis

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] bugfest analysis
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 01:28:46 +0200

Hi all!

Here is a little analysis of the recent bugfest efforts. Point proposals
from me are noted for "In test" issues. If no one else objects, please
close the issues I marked accordingly yourself:

1) Assigned, but not (yet) closed issues:

* #7221: [NEED TEST] "monotone cert" should not require its target
  be on a branch
  -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.7221-stephen_leake
  -> @Stephe: Please look at my comment there. If you work that out,
  an additional 2 point reward is for you :)
* #17878: Usability: too easy to accidentally fork after
  merge or disapprove
  -> branch is net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.17878-tbrownaw
  -> @Tim: is this done?
* #13597: monotone update -b newbranch exhibits
  incorrect behaviour
  -> @Stephe: whats your plan here?
* #20447: mtn diff <filename> fails inside of a renamed directory
  -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.20447-dscherger
  -> @Derek: whats your plan here? Is this reviewable?

If you can't finish your work or just have added an informational
comment, consider removing your ownership from the bug again, so other
people can pick it up some time.

2) Assigned, "In test" issues:

* #5672: "monotone explain"
  -> won't fix is ok for me - if no one objects I'd close this issue
  -> points: 1 to Tim
* #7220: [NEED TEST] Monotone handles deleted files very ungracefully
  -> has been fixed in the mean time, closing is ok
  -> points: 1 to Stephe
* #8396: make merkle tree hash not include dormancy bitmask
  -> wtf meter: 100% - you're right about closing this one :)
  -> points: 1 to Tim
* #8535: [NEED TEST] monotone log has bad defaults outside a working
  directory
  -> I'm ok with closing this issue - the "-b foo" to "--from h:foo"
  thing can be considered a feature request
  -> points: 1 to Stephe
* #8549: handle tree-layout merge failure sensibly
* #8916: Default database location
  -> no extra cookies for the "import" implementation, but probably
  still closable
  -> points: 1 to Stephe
* #9235: [NEED TEST] File in repository with \ instead of /
  directory separator
  -> paths are of course sanitized in the meantime, can be closed
  -> points: 1 to Stephe
* #9269: [NEED TEST] monotone log doesn't understand windows directory
  separator
  -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.9269-stephen_leake
  -> test looks ok for me (can't execute it here locally, though,
  since I have no windows machine) - can be closed if the test
  works
  -> points: 2 to Stephe
* #12455: MT 0.16 can't access, if DB stored on NFS
  -> I tend to agree that this is set on won't fix, while it might
  still be a smaller issue in monotone (we should probably not
  segfault, but provide a good error message, can anyone with an NFS
  setup confirm that?)
  -> points: 1 to Stephe
* #12773: show which branch a tag belongs to
  -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.12273-dscherger
  -> Patch looks cool, a test would be nice though. Wrt space issues,
  we could shorten the revision to gain additional space - I think
  the chance of finding two partial tagged revisions which can be
  completed to two different full revision ids is rather low.
  -> points: 5 to Derek (if you add a test :)
* #13604: need 'undelete' ('undrop'?)
  -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.13604-stephen_leake
  -> patch looks largely cool, some minor objections:
    "revert = not undrop;" - is the "not" operator portable?
    "bool undrop" function argument - an enum would be cool :)
  -> possible issue left: undrop does not work correctly when
     called on a dropped directory without --recursive. It still
     re-creates all childs of the directory, while one would assume
     that only the directory itself is recreated (and all the other
     files keep dropped)
  -> points: 5 to Stephe (if the remaining issues are sorted out)
* #13706: allow passphraseless keys
  -> this has been fixed in the meantime, right (partially by myself)
  -> points: 1 to Richard
* #16021: monotone co [directory] not usage quite clear
  -> can be closed
  -> points: 1 to Richard
* #16069: log message handling assumes everything is in UTF-8
  -> we should have a test for this somewhere, right? @Richard: Could
  you check if you find it and paste it as reference in the ticket
  before you close the bug?
  -> points: 1 to Richard
* #16895: Better error reporting in permission-denied scenarios
  -> @Tim: Do you think of anything in particular ("but not a very
  good one")? Maybe this is worth a tiny patch...
  -> points: 1 to Tim
* #28805: Global --key option (and possibly others) are not reset
  between stdio commands
  -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.28805-rlevitte
  -> @Richard: some objections
    Why don't you allow the setting of signing_key with --anonymous
    in workspace::get_options, if you return later on in keys.cc
    early anyways if you encounter app.opts.anonymous, even before
    app.opts.signing_key is touched there?
    I'm also not sure if it is a good idea to ask for app.opts.anonymous
    in keys.cc's get_user_key() - especially since this is not only
    called from netsync, but also f.e. for normal cert operations.
    I know this is just a local, not a global option, but putting it
    there still feels a little hacky
  -> points: 5 for Richard (if you can improve the implementation a bit)
* #29484: mtn rename hits an invariant for invalid moves
  -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.29484-rlevitte
  -> looks ok to me, a small test case would be nice
  -> points: 3 to Richard (if the test arrives :)

Wow... long mail - thanks for reading so far. If I forgot something,
please drop me a note.

Lets breakdown the current points (not counting the not "in test"
issues) so far:

1) Stephe   13 points (#7221 and #13597 still open)
2) Richard  11 points
3) Derek    5 points (#20447 still open, might add +5)
4) Tim      3 points (#17878 still open, might add +5)

I'll give everybody some more time to cleanup / finish the mentioned
things and recalculate the final scores again then.

Other than that I'm quite happy with the results. We've closed many bugs
and I think we should do that again some time in the future to bring
down the bug count even more.

Thanks to all the participants!

Thomas.