Re: [Monotone-devel] bugfest analysis

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] bugfest analysis
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 20:52:58 -0600

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
* #20447: mtn diff <filename> fails inside of a renamed directory
 -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.20447-dscherger
 -> @Derek: whats your plan here? Is this reviewable?

I spent most of the day working on this and made some big changes (reimplementing diff in terms of rosters rather than csets) but they didn't actually fix the problem, which turns out to be somewhat complicated. I was out for a long drive today and spent quite a lot of time thinking about it. I have some ideas but I'm not yet sure if they'll work out or not. I'll follow up with another email explaining the details.

* #12773: show which branch a tag belongs to
 -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.12273-dscherger
 -> Patch looks cool, a test would be nice though. Wrt space issues,
 we could shorten the revision to gain additional space - I think
 the chance of finding two partial tagged revisions which can be
 completed to two different full revision ids is rather low.
 -> points: 5 to Derek (if you add a test :)

OK, adding a test should be easy. Do we have something to produce short revision ids or should I just grab the first N chars or something?

* #13604: need 'undelete' ('undrop'?)
 -> net.venge.monotone.bugfest-2010.13604-stephen_leake
 -> patch looks largely cool, some minor objections:
   "revert = not undrop;" - is the "not" operator portable?
   "bool undrop" function argument - an enum would be cool :)
 -> possible issue left: undrop does not work correctly when
    called on a dropped directory without --recursive. It still
    re-creates all childs of the directory, while one would assume
    that only the directory itself is recreated (and all the other
    files keep dropped)
 -> points: 5 to Stephe (if the remaining issues are sorted out)

I'm somewhat curious about  this one but I haven't looked at the bug or the fixes yet. Is undrop/undelete somehow different from revert or is this just a command alias?

Other than that I'm quite happy with the results. We've closed many bugs
and I think we should do that again some time in the future to bring
down the bug count even more.

Agreed. I personally find having a few people around working at the same time is  quite motivating.

Cheers,
Derek