Re: [Monotone-devel] OS-specific line endings

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] OS-specific line endings
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:07:44 -0400

Patrick Georgi <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 03.07.2010 19:12, schrieb Richard Levitte:
>> Good, this was discussed years ago, but the discussion drifted off
>> into nothingness.  A rehash could maybe take us closer to something
>> workable.
>>
>> The usual problem is there, how to make certain we don't do
>> conversions with files that should be seen as binary but aren't
>> obviously so from a technical point of view.

> How about a file $root/.mtn_newlines with [binary] and [text] sections,
> and glob patterns in them ("*" for default) to match against?
> "binary" should be mtn-default for all files, as it's the non
> destructive option.

I think that's both overkill and too specific.

Overkill, because I expect very few files to actually need line ending
conversion. For me, it's a few out of twelve hundred.

Too specific, because it deals only with line endings, and assumes any
"text" file needs line ending munging. So we don't need a method that
classifies all files as binary or text; we need a method that identifies
a few files as needing special treatment.

As I pointed out in my other post, line endings simply don't matter to
most open source text processing tools.

If we have a way to call an appropriate hook in calculate_ident, then it
can be used for any symmetrical file munging; line endings, character
set conversion, encrypting, etc.

--
-- Stephe