Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.man-page

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.man-page
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:01:58 +0200

Am 18.07.10 11:52, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> I generated the mtn.1 man page using the MinGW and Cygwin builds of
> monotone; no surprises.
>
> A few comments:
>
> missing a Copyright section. It could say:
>
>        monotone is Copyright (C) 2004-2010 by various authors.

Done.

> I ran 'mtn manpage' (without the --norc that's in the makefile), and it
> included my locally defined commands. I think that's a nice feature, so
> perhaps this command should not be hidden?

Well, I doubt anybody will run this command in reality or even update
the package-installed man page with a self-generated one. And hiding
commands like this serves another purpose: to keep the command namespace
clean for the user.

> Obviously 'mtn manpage' should be run with --norc for releases, but
> local installations with significant user commands might want to install
> the manpage that documents their commands.
>
> There's no entry in monotone.texi for manpage; I assume that's because
> it's hidden.

Correct, most (all?) other hidden commands aren't documented as well and
I think we want to keep it that way, since we also don't want to make a
prospect about their format, their existance and so on. For example, we
could decide to switch the man format over to mdoc some time and nobody
would need to care...

> The command groups, and the commands within a group, are not in
> alphabetical order; they are in 'mtn help'.

They have not always been alphabetically sorted in the --help output,
but I agree it might be a good thing to match --help and man page.
Though I wonder if it wouldn't be feasible to have an ordering at least
for command groups which doesn't match the alphabet, but the importance,
i.e. workspace commands, tree commands, database commands, ... and
finally the automation commands, and not automation on top (just because
it starts with an 'a').

> Missing the current version in the footer.

Done.

> needs a NEWS entry.

I'll write one if I implemented everything.

Thanks for the review,
Thomas