Re: [Monotone-devel] branch patterns

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] branch patterns
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:54:52 -0400

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:48:34AM +0200, Richard Levitte wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:49:09 -0400, Hendrik Boom
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> hendrik> pattern "com.pooq.hendrik.write*"
> hendrik>
> hendrik> doesn't work, but
> hendrik>
> hendrik> pattern "com.pooq.hendrik.write.*"
> hendrik>
> hendrik> does when I'm trying to sync branches
> hendrik>
> hendrik> com.pooq.hendrik.write.melinda
>
> Please show the exact command, that might tell us more.

OK.  Here goes:

Every time the serve command is

mtn --db ~/monotone/write.db -k address@hidden serve

and the client-side sync command is

mtn sync

And I did remember to restart the server for each run, after changing
read-permissions.

When on the server the read-permissions reads as follows

address@hidden:~/monotone$ cat ~/.monotone/read-permissions
pattern "com.pooq.hendrik.write*"
allow "address@hidden"
allow "address@hidden"
allow "address@hidden

address@hidden:~/monotone$

thee output from sync is:

address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$ mtn sync
mtn: connecting to mtn://topoi.pooq.com
mtn: finding items to synchronize:
mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
mtn:          192 |    3 |        64
mtn: warning: protocol error while processing peer mtn://topoi.pooq.com:
'received network error: denied 'ad968be7244234e8d653201ab1ddd33b53ffa04d' read
permission for '*' excluding '' because of branch
'com.pooq.hendrik.write.melinda''
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | revs in
mtn:       167 |       328 |       0
mtn: error: processing failure while talking to peer mtn://topoi.pooq.com,
disconnecting
address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$

whereas with this read-permissions file on the server

address@hidden:~/.monotone$ cat read-permissions
pattern "com.pooq.hendrik.write.*"
allow "address@hidden"
allow "address@hidden"
allow "address@hidden"
address@hidden:~/.monotone$

sync produces:

address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$ mtn sync
mtn: connecting to mtn://topoi.pooq.com
mtn: finding items to synchronize:
mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
mtn:          192 |    3 |        64
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | revs in | revs out
mtn:     1.1 k |     1.4 k |     0/0 |      0/0
mtn: successful exchange with mtn://topoi.pooq.com
mtn: note: your workspace has not been updated
address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$

> hendrik> Why?  What are the rules for '*' and '.' in patterns?
>
> The same as bash globs.

So "." should match a period, and "*" matches zero or more characters.
That's what I thought.  Bash has some special rules about filenames
starting with a dot.  Could they be tripping me up?

-- hendrik