Re: [Monotone-devel] branch patterns

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] branch patterns
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:08:50 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:54:52 -0400, Hendrik Boom
<address@hidden> said:

hendrik> OK.  Here goes:
hendrik>
hendrik> Every time the serve command is
hendrik>
hendrik> mtn --db ~/monotone/write.db -k address@hidden serve
hendrik>
hendrik> and the client-side sync command is
hendrik>
hendrik> mtn sync
hendrik>
hendrik> And I did remember to restart the server for each run, after changing
hendrik> read-permissions.
hendrik>
hendrik>
hendrik> When on the server the read-permissions reads as follows
hendrik>
hendrik> address@hidden:~/monotone$ cat ~/.monotone/read-permissions
hendrik> pattern "com.pooq.hendrik.write*"
hendrik> allow "address@hidden"
hendrik> allow "address@hidden"
hendrik> allow "address@hidden
hendrik>
hendrik>
hendrik> address@hidden:~/monotone$
hendrik>
hendrik>
hendrik> thee output from sync is:
hendrik>
hendrik> address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$ mtn sync
hendrik> mtn: connecting to mtn://topoi.pooq.com
hendrik> mtn: finding items to synchronize:
hendrik> mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
hendrik> mtn:          192 |    3 |        64
hendrik> mtn: warning: protocol error while processing peer
mtn://topoi.pooq.com: 'received network error: denied
'ad968be7244234e8d653201ab1ddd33b53ffa04d' read permission for '*' excluding ''
because of branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.write.melinda''
hendrik> mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | revs in
hendrik> mtn:       167 |       328 |       0
hendrik> mtn: error: processing failure while talking to peer
mtn://topoi.pooq.com, disconnecting
hendrik> address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$
hendrik>
hendrik>
hendrik> whereas with this read-permissions file on the server
hendrik>
hendrik> address@hidden:~/.monotone$ cat read-permissions
hendrik> pattern "com.pooq.hendrik.write.*"
hendrik> allow "address@hidden"
hendrik> allow "address@hidden"
hendrik> allow "address@hidden"
hendrik> address@hidden:~/.monotone$
hendrik>
hendrik> sync produces:
hendrik>
hendrik> address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$ mtn sync
hendrik> mtn: connecting to mtn://topoi.pooq.com
hendrik> mtn: finding items to synchronize:
hendrik> mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
hendrik> mtn:          192 |    3 |        64
hendrik> mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | revs in | revs out
hendrik> mtn:     1.1 k |     1.4 k |     0/0 |      0/0
hendrik> mtn: successful exchange with mtn://topoi.pooq.com
hendrik> mtn: note: your workspace has not been updated
hendrik> address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$

Thanks.  That does seem weird, but to make sure we have all details,
what output do you get on the client side if you do this?

  mtn ls vars

hendrik> > hendrik> Why?  What are the rules for '*' and '.' in patterns?
hendrik> >
hendrik> > The same as bash globs.
hendrik>
hendrik> So "." should match a period, and "*" matches zero or more characters.
hendrik> That's what I thought.  Bash has some special rules about filenames
hendrik> starting with a dot.  Could they be tripping me up?

The special rule about file names starting with a dot has nothing to
do with globbing per se...  or bash, for that matter.  It's 'ls' that
filters them away (unless you say otherwise, with '-a').

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/