moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] (no subject)

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] (no subject)
Date: 06 Sep 2003 11:40:59 +0200

Le ven 05/09/2003 à 22:48, Luca Padovani a écrit :
> Hi everybody,
>
> A few weeks ago we were discussing about how to let the browser open a
> new page as the result of an action on a plugin. Jean proposed the use
> of a property in the property bag that mozilla-bonobo would listen for
> changes.

The big problem here is the comunication from the viewer to the plugin.
A pipe is created but is not read by the plugin. For this to be
possible, it would need an event handler associated with the pipe (I do
not know if this is possible) or to create a new thread (I might be
wrong?).

>  However, the more I look at the plugin for MathML rendering
> (thanks to the mozilla-bonobo developers!) the more I think of things
> that are not easiliy solvable with a property bag. Here are a few
> examples, I'd like to hear comments from other developers:

> c) What about accessing the other attributes of the <EMBED> element, and
> possibly its <PARAM> children?
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html)

This already exists. It uses (once more) the property bag. I already use the
mechanism in my programs. The GChem3D bonobo control (from the Gnome Chemistry
Utils www.nongnu.org/gchemutils) implements such a mechanism for two properties
(display3d and bgcolor).
It works both with attributes in and <embed> element or with <param>
tags inside an <object>.

The other points are quite interesting but I have no reliable answers by
now.

Regards,

Jean