moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] on possible extensions of mozilla-bonobo

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] on possible extensions of mozilla-bonobo
Date: 06 Sep 2003 13:18:55 +0200

Le sam 06/09/2003 à 12:10, Luca Padovani a écrit :
> Hi Jean,
>
> On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 11:40, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> > The big problem here is the comunication from the viewer to the plugin.
> > A pipe is created but is not read by the plugin. For this to be
> > possible, it would need an event handler associated with the pipe (I do
> > not know if this is possible) or to create a new thread (I might be
> > wrong?).
>
> could you make this point a bit more clear? I thought it was simpler
> than that: you click on the plugin, the plugin can either handle the
> event itself, or it may need to tell the browser to load a different
> page. In the second case, the plugin sets the nav-url of its own
> property bag with the new URL to load. mozilla-bonobo, which is
> listening for changes of that particular property, is notified and
> instructs the browser to load the requested page, and that's it.

The problem is that there are two parts in mozilla-bonobo. The plugin
which is a shared library interacts directly with the browser and the
viewer launched by the plugin. The viewer, in turn, loads the bonobo
control. The plugin opens two pipes which are the stdin ad the stdout of
the viewer on startup. The stdin pipe is used to pass everything (uri,
data and params) to the viewer. The other pipe is not used as far as I
know. So when you click, you don't access the plugin but the viewer.

Regards,
Jean