nano-devel

[Nano-devel] poll: who builds and uses nano without UTF-8 support?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] poll: who builds and uses nano without UTF-8 support?
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 20:07:46 +0200

Hi all,

I'm trying to build nano without UTF-8 support (--disable-utf8),
but when I run the produced binary and open the NEWS file, the
"Kiša pada" and "Córdoba" still get displayed as they are shown
here, instead of changing the accented letters into two separate
(mistaken) characters, as I would expect.  I have switched the
default character set of the terminal to ISO-8895-1 too, but it
makes no difference.  Uninstalling libncursesw5-dev doesn't help
either (after reconfiguring and recompiling, of course).

When I use Ctrl+Right and Ctrl+Left on the lines with those accented
letters, I can tell that those accented letters really take up two
column positions, because after them the cursor gets mispositioned
by one column.  Those two bytes/characters just get displayed as a
single character, even though the locale says that those characters
don't exist, at least not under those codes.

I want to test a change to parse_mbchar() that I'm preparing, to
verify that the non-UTF-8 case still works correctly.  But that's
hard when I can't get nano and the terminal to treat each byte as
a single character.  How do I do that?  Who can help?

Benno