nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] poll: who builds and uses nano without UTF-8 support?

From: markweston
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] poll: who builds and uses nano without UTF-8 support?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 10:56:54 +0300

On 2018-07-08 21:07, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to build nano without UTF-8 support (--disable-utf8),
but when I run the produced binary and open the NEWS file, the
"Kiša pada" and "Córdoba" still get displayed as they are shown
here, instead of changing the accented letters into two separate
(mistaken) characters, as I would expect.

Do we really need that many conditional compilation options?
The preprocessor directives are 2000+ lines, that's ~12.5% of the code.
How many bytes do you really save with --disable-extra or --disable-linenumbers
anyway?

DEBUG, DISABLE_ROOTWRAPPING, ENABLE_BROWSER, ENABLE_COLOR, ENABLE_COMMENT, ENABLE_EXTRA, ENABLE_HELP, ENABLE_HISTORIES, ENABLE_JUSTIFY, ENABLE_LINENUMBERS, ENABLE_MOUSE, ENABLE_MULTIBUFFER, ENABLE_NANORC, ENABLE_NLS, ENABLE_OPERATINGDIR, ENABLE_SPELLER, ENABLE_TABCOMP, ENABLE_UTF8, ENABLE_WORDCOMPLETION, ENABLE_WRAPPING,
HAVE_LIBMAGIC, NANO_TINY, USE_SLANG...

That's 2^23 possible builds right there.

If you would let me remove any of those I would gladly do.