nano-devel

Re: a scroll bar on the right that shows position and portion

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: a scroll bar on the right that shows position and portion
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 19:41:18 -0600

On 06:52 Sat 25-Apr-2020, Brand Huntsman wrote:
> On 05:39 Sat 25-Apr-2020, Brand Huntsman wrote:
> > reserves the space on either end of scrollbar for a '+' when lines
> > above or below the edit window aren't visible.

I've found some issues after using the patches system-wide.

My fix patch falls apart when softwrap is enabled. The knob is hidden
even if top or bottom line isn't fully visible. And the '+' indicators
don't work properly. I don't think I found a solution for softwrap when
I wrote the scroll titlebar indicator.

The guidestripe has an issue where copying text with X11 mouse pastes
spaces from end of text to the guidestripe. This issue is amplified with
scrollbar because those spaces are always as wide as the terminal. The
problem isn't as bad with the color patch when scrollbar background is
same as terminal. But copying lines with '+' or knob get full width
spaces, while other lines usually don't. I'm not sure why, but sometimes
even lines without any visible scrollbar coloring get copied with
spaces.

A toggle to hide scrollbar (and guidestripe) would help, but it would
still be annoying remembering to turn it off, copy, and then turn it
back on.