nano-devel

Re: what to call the option for the "scroll bar"?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: what to call the option for the "scroll bar"?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 19:23:24 +0200

Op 17-05-2020 om 04:45 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> On 5/15/20, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Now... what shall we call the option?  --scrollbar does not seem
>> right, because it is not actually a scroll bar: you cannot click
>> on it and drag it around to scroll through the buffer.
>
> I actually like to call scrollbar. The only other way I can think to
> call it is paddle.

"Paddle" implies that it controls something, that you can use it
to move something.  But the thing we've implemented is just an
indicator: it just shows where in the file the screen contents
are and what portion of the file is being shown on the screen.

"Scrollbar" would indeed be better, but then it would actually
have to work like a scroll bar.  But it doesn't look like ncurses
sends any dragging events.

Benno