nano-devel

Re: what to call the option for the "scroll bar"?

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: what to call the option for the "scroll bar"?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 18:54:27 -0300

On 5/18/20, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op 17-05-2020 om 04:45 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
>> I actually like to call scrollbar. The only other way I can think to
>> call it is paddle.
>
> "Paddle" implies that it controls something, that you can use it
> to move something.  But the thing we've implemented is just an
> indicator: it just shows where in the file the screen contents
> are and what portion of the file is being shown on the screen.

Taking inspiration from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrollbar ,
other possible names are:  "scroller", "thumb", "knob", "scroll box",
"scroll thumb", "elevator", "quint", "puck", "wiper", "grip" or
"slider".

> "Scrollbar" would indeed be better, but then it would actually
> have to work like a scroll bar.  But it doesn't look like ncurses
> sends any dragging events.

IIRC, ncurses does send mouse move, down and up events. I even
remember some successful experiments modifying nano to select with
click and drag. It probably doesn't work on every terminal; I got it
to work on gnome-terminal and xterm while it did not work on Eterm.
Had to use printf("\033[?1003h\n") though. But it is definitely
possible to capture drag using ncurses.

Consider the attached diff. I think it is easy to enable events
related to mouse drag in nano (select, move selection, move
scrollbar...).

Do you want me to implement a proof of concept to select text using
click and drag?