nano-devel

Re: problem with 'set highlightcolor'

From: pepa65
Subject: Re: problem with 'set highlightcolor'
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 21:23:30 +0700

On 25/02/2021 17.41, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Op 24-02-2021 om 13:50 schreef pepa65:
>> I don't understand why, but whatever I set the highlightcolor to, it is
>> always black on white (even when I don't set it).
> What terminal do you use?
XFCE4-Terminal

> What does 'env | grep TERM' say?
COLORTERM=truecolor
LESS_TERMCAP_so=
LESS_TERMCAP_se=
LESS_TERMCAP_mb=
LESS_TERMCAP_md=
LESS_TERMCAP_me=
TERM=xterm-256color
LESS_TERMCAP_ue=
LESS_TERMCAP_us=

> Do the other color options work?  For example, does 'set selectedcolor'
> affect the color of marked text?

Yes, that one works. But if I set the same colours to highlightcolor, it
doesn't change. The "white" I was seeing was actually light-gray (it was
a "color theme" of the terminal), which I changed to yellow, but I can't
change highlightcolor by changing its parameters, it stays black on yellow.

> From where does nano read its settings?  (Strace a run of nano, then grep
> the result for "etc" and for "nanorc".)

I use ~/.nanorc, no need to strace that..!

> Do you run a patched nano?

I sometimes do, and I sometimes run the git master, but on a new release
I usually start out with standard. (I included the output of nano -V in
my earlier post.)

>> Is there some interaction with the options??
> You can check that yourself by configuring without any options, or by
> running nano with --ignorercfiles.

It is the same colour combination for highlightcolor, the default.

All other setting that I tried changing did change, but not
highlightcolor. I can live with that, just find it strange.

Thanks for your help,
Peter