nano-devel

Re: revisiting ^F for Search

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: revisiting ^F for Search
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 12:28:30 +0100

Op 20-02-2023 om 01:37 schreef Chris Allegretta:
Maybe we'd want something like --modern as the name for enabling [...]
the larger scale bindings?

Sure.  The --hipperkeys and --trendybindings were just in jest.  :)

(But plain --modern is no good; it will have to be --modernbindings.
The user can of course shorten this to --modern or --mod, but with
the full name in the --help output it is clear enough what it does
even without an explanation.)

For #2, even better than an invocation check for me would just be a toggle to
switch between the modes,

Making the bindings togglable would require a significant rewrite,
as currently key bindings are determined at startup time.

Also, I would hate to have the bindings togglable: what if I hit
the toggle by accident?  That would be super frustrating.  So no,
that's not going to happen.

Benno