netftpserver-general

Re: [Net::FTPServer] Virtual File Systems On MYSQL

From: Richard Jones
Subject: Re: [Net::FTPServer] Virtual File Systems On MYSQL
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:24:12 +0100

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:12:47PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> >I can give you a hand modifying the PostgreSQL version.  I'm sure
> >it'll be quite simple because there is hardly any (possibly none)
> >PSQL-specific SQL.  Ask me specific questions though ...
>
> The first question is this...
>
> In the eg1*.sql files under .../examples/, there are frequent references
> to the keyword "sequence".  What does it reference?
>
> Samples:
>
> -- Remove any old tables, indexes, sequences, etc.
>
> drop sequence files_id_seq;
>
> drop sequence directories_id_seq;
>
> drop sequence users_id_seq;

This might be a problem ... can MySQL implement serial columns?

PostgreSQL uses sequences to implement serial columns.  On the ancient
version of PostgreSQL that I used when implementing the Net::FTPServer
database layer, it would create the sequences implicitly when you
created a table with a serial column, but you had to remove the
sequences explicitly when deleting the tables (otherwise they would
hang around, orphaned).  Modern versions of PostgreSQL remove the
implicit sequences automatically when the table is deleted.

Rich.

NET::FTPSERVER is a full-featured, secure, configurable, database-backed
FTP server written in Perl: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/netftpserver/