nmh-workers

Re: inc and non-compliant long lines redux

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: inc and non-compliant long lines redux
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:27:23 -0500

>> Is this only seen with inc(1) reading from a particular source?
>
>I believe the only  problem that I found was inc and  reading from a POP
>source; sorry  for not  being more clear.  Specifically in  popsbr.c and
>pop_getline(), it  would call netsec_readline()  which uses a  buffer of
>65535 for  holding data, and  then pop_getline()  would stuff it  into a
>buffer that was BUFSIZ (1024 on my system), thus truncating whatever was
>returned to 1024.

Officially such a message violates RFC 5322 (line length limit of 998
plus CR LF), which means it violates the POP3 RFC as well.  But I suspect
we just have to deal.  Sigh.

netsec_readline() can handle a maximum line length of 32k, which I chose
based on it being way larger than what email protocols say is the limit
of a "line".  My only question is: should there be a hardcoded limit in
terms of line length, or should we have the limit be whatever you can
malloc()?

--Ken