nmh-workers

Re: inc and non-compliant long lines redux

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: inc and non-compliant long lines redux
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 09:19:11 -0500

>The longest line that I have  observed was 11,370,773 bytes, however, it
>could be any variable length based upon the size of the attachment being
>included in the email.

Oof, yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

I know Ralph likes to simply reject those emails out of hand and I can
appreciate that pushback on messages like this that are COMPLETELY
BROKEN, but I kind of feel like in the modern world we just have to deal
with them.  And I will admit that there was some laziness on my part
in terms of using netsec_readline().  I think the correct solution is
when nmh is doing a RETR inside of POP we should use netsec_read() and
perform the necessary CR-LF translations on the returned buffer.  The
only complicated thing I see is dealing with the case where a CR is at
the end of one buffer and the LF is at the start of the next buffer; I
think that is straightforward.

Unfortunately my life is still difficult right now, otherwise I'd work
on fixing that.  I also realized that probably netsec_read() should
take "unsigned char *" as the second argument instead of void *.

--Ken