Re: line number tracking in the parser

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: line number tracking in the parser
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 14:18:59 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
I just checked in the following changes that I think will improve the
handling of input_line_number in the parser so that line numbers that
are reported in error messages will be more accurate.  I would also
expect setting breakpoints with the debugger to work better...

jwe

That is great... Think that it would fix the problem of setting breakpoints on certain lines in class methods (eg on if, for, etc blocks) I tried the following after a rebuild with this patch

dbstop gf
a = gf(0:3,2)

and the result was the breakpoint was not respected. I attach this OOP class here to see if you know what the issue is..

In any case apart from the two points

 1. Objects:
   - Operator overloading vs. constant folding

 +. Handle block comments.  This is not quite finished as block
    comments inside [] or {}, and also in the group of comments
    following a continuation character, etc., are not handled.  See
    the FIXME comments in lex.l.

that you John basically said you won't handle I see nothing left to do from the 3.2 task list, and I know of no show stopper bugs (unless the breakpoint issue above is considered a show stopper)... We really need a 3.1.52 release and start stabilizing for a 3.2 release.

Regards
David

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)