Re: libtool and mkoctfile

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: libtool and mkoctfile
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:00:19 +0000 (GMT)

--- Mer 4/11/09, Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Da: Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden>
> Oggetto: Re: libtool and mkoctfile
> A: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Data: Mercoledì 4 novembre 2009, 22:44
> >
> > | One problem I see with gnulib is that it is
> C-centric rather than
> > | C++-centric.
> >
> > What I'm looking for is something that will handle
> replacing the core
> > POSIX functions on systems that don't have them, or
> that have broken
> > versions.  Most often these days, that is
> Windows, isn't it?  And
> > these are relatively low-level functions defined with
> C language
> > interfaces.  So I don't see this as a problem.
>
> If you aim octave to rely on a posix base, then I guess at
> the end of the day, the only reasonable choice for windows
> platform is cygwin.
>
> benjamin

I start to be worried...to much stress on the windows horizon.

Just for your info I have not yet succeded to build octave
with the new libtool stuff.
I am currently investigating on:
*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/libgfortranbegin.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
libtool: link: rm -fr  .libs/liboctave.la.lnkscript

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lcholmod.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libcholmod and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/lib/libcholmod.a

Any other platform with similar issue ?
It looks that libtool is wrongly guessing what to do.

Marco