Re: libtool and mkoctfile

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: libtool and mkoctfile
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:24:35 -0500

On  4-Nov-2009, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

| If an executable does not call native windows api but instead calls e.g.
| a posix intermediate layer which translates these calls to windows api
| calls, then this executable is not native.

For MinGW or MSVC with POSIX library functions that ultimately calls
the Windows API, I don't see the distinction.  It's just a library
that provides an interface.  It doesn't somehow change the fact that
the program runs on a Windows system.  If I write my own (not POSIX)
wrappers around the Windows API that provide a convenient interface to
me, and then avoid using the Windows API directly, does that somehow
make my program not a native Windows program?

In the case of Cygwin, I do see a difference, because Cygwin programs
assume that the view of the filesystem is POSIX (/cygdrive/c/foo/bar),
not Windows (C:/foo/bar).  So if these things are exposed users
notice a difference when they can't open files using the names they
are familiar with.