GSoc Application queries - Numerical

From: nitish
Subject: GSoc Application queries - Numerical
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 07:35:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I am nitish, a 4th year student from the Department of Mathematics, Indian
Institute of Technology, Kharagpur enrolled in its 5 year integrated MS
course in Mathematics and Computing. I am interested in applying in the
octave project. I went through the suggested ideas page (for gsoc
applicants) and I am very much interested in the projects relating to
numerical computations listed under "numerical" in the page.

I am well versed with C, C++ and Matlab and have used it in several academic
projects, I have also worked with Java before. I have also simulated many
numerical algorithms in matlab during my course of study.
I have been using linux (ubuntu) for the last 6 months.
I came across octave a few months back and used in a project of mine. I
noticed many similarities and differences with MATLAB. I felt that it could
be improved and expanded a lot, which is why I got interested in this
project.

I would like to know the following :
1) Is my current skill set suited to my choice of project or do I need
something more ?
2) How and where can I discuss project ideas in 'numerical' ?
3) Do you have any separate process/form for application or will I have to
apply only when google begins accepting student applications after 26th
march ?

Will looking forward to your reply and also for interacting with you in the
future.

- Nitish